This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Compliments, Comments & Complaints

suggestionsWe welcome communication and discussion on any of the services we provide. Feedback forms are available in reception and your suggestions help us to continually improve the services we can offer our local community.

Some patients wish to acknowledge their gratitude and we greatly appreciate this encouragement. You may wish to voice your thanks to the member of staff concerned or the receptionist who will pass remarks on.

Who can complain?

Anyone who has received NHS treatment or services can make a complaint. We would prefer to speak to you about any issues you have as soon as possible. If you are unable, or do not wish to make a complaint yourself, then a relative or a friend can make the complaint on your behalf, with your permission.

What can be investigated under the NHS Complaints Procedure?

You can make a complaint about any NHS treatment or service you have received or are receiving from the practice. The NHS Complaints Procedure does not apply to complaints about private treatment, services provided by Social Services or any events that are the subject of legal action.

Who should I complain to?

Staff in the surgery will be able to provide you with information about making a complaint. You may like to speak to our Duty Manager or alternatively you can download and fill in the complaints form here:

Complaints Leaflet

The complaint will then be investigated and a response sent to you. This is the first stage of the NHS Complaints Procedure and is known as local resolution. If you would prefer not to make your complaint directly to the practice, or would like independant help and advice, you can contact NHS England (0300 311 22 33) or the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) (01579 345193). Sometimes people worry that their care will suffer if they make a complaint. We want to make sure this never happens.

When should I complain?

Please try to make your complaint as soon as possible. There are time limits- normally 6 months after the event you are complaining about- although there are exceptions to this. If you are in doubt, confidential advice is available from the practice manager.

What will happen next?

The person you talk to or write to will try to find out what has happened and take any action that is necessary. They may need to talk to other staff, but they will be careful to ensure that any information about you is kept confidential. Your complaint will not be recorded in your medical notes.

If your complaint is made in writing, it should be acknowledged within three working days. Please put your telephone number or email address on the letter if you are happy for us to contact you this way. This may help us to respond more quickly. We will aim to send you a full response within 10 days. If it is going to take longer to reply, we will advise you of any delay and agree a revised timescale with you.

What if I am unhappy with the Local Resolution?

If you are not happy with the action taken to try to resolve your complaint, please say so- we may be able to do more to help. If you still remain unhappy, you can ask the Healthcare Commission to review your case. This is the second stage of the NHS Complaints Procedure. You should do this within 6 months of the final reply you receive about your complaint.

The Healthcare Commission may agree to undertake an independent review of your complaint, but only if it is of the view that nothing further can be gained at local resolution and if a further investigation is likely to help in resolving your concerns.


The Health Service Ombudsman

The Health Service Ombudsman has published a booklet that describes the ‘six principles for remedy’ in relation to complaints handling and involves:

  1. Getting it right
  2. Being customer focused
  3. Being open and accountable
  4. Acting fairly and proportionately
  5. Putting things right
  6. Seeking continuous improvements

If you remain unhappy after everything has been done to try to resolve your concern or complaint you have the right to approach the Ombudsman.
Tel: 0345 015 4033
Write: Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website